ELO cap poll   

14 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. With the low player base should we remove the elo cap?

• Definitely yes.
    • Definitely no.
    • It may be an idea, let’s try it and see how it goes.

4 hours ago, coffee said:

New poll....Who wants too let boost be the highest elo on the capped servers by giving him the one exception?

lol let him play just give him 50hp problem solved big waah fest :D

The beginning was a single server community of t4 players that tanked on euro servers to play with their t3 friends at a more casual Madhouse, because Bethesda set the bar for the tiers. I did it from 2010 until 2015 when things changed and players had to invest time and money to keep things going. I played 6-7 hours on open server last night. You said that I do not want to play them? About to move it to the drama section....

Island, I know the math can probably be adjusted. It's another thing for someone to be bitched at/blamed for not being a perfect system while they even try to adjust it. Maybe we could get it to do opiod, breathalyzers, thc, adderall checks upon entry. Someone is going to cry no matter the outcome of any change/setup we do.

I get thanked by people as much as I get bitched at for everything.

I think the majority of the Madhouse community is under 1300 elo. I've been in many many games 10v10 where the elo balance shows that both teams of 10 people have an AVG elo of under 1000. that's 20 people playing, full server and the avg elo is in the 900s...so why would you want to introduce assholes like kgb into your main community? they have plenty of servers including my server where they can bully people and feel like big men. The people that come to Madhouse <1700 are looking for a place to play and actually have a chance to compete with others in their same range of skill. a lot of games even guys with 1500-1600 elo dominate the server. personally I would lower it, not raise it.  or just leave everything alone cause its working.

I am telling you in the beginning it was not meant for the player you think you are unless you had the ability to tank to play there as I Did to play with friends. Obviously you were not a part of that or your understanding might be more in line with where we are.

Your little one line responses with no value is just trolling at this point. Maybe when you understand how a disccussion/debate works you can be more involved. Until then figure out your own situation. Third time all this has been explained to you but you can act like an idiot. I guess all that time before rehabbing in the hospital was a blur. Find your safe space, because capped servers are not it.  We are not turning into oso just because you want it to be that way. 

You know what I'm going to outright say it, Fuck you pete. Trying to have any kind of conversation with you is the equivalent of talking to a mumbling bumbling old man stuck in his ways. Capped servers are your safe space. I don't need a "safe space". You started the dirt flinging. You can call me conceited or any other thing you want. You are an asshole, and I only wish you knew the other things people have used to describe you. 

Why not make your own server? Bw and leroy have theirs, whats holding you back from unleashing your awesomeness on the quake community?  We even helped leroy when he wanted to start his up by pointing him in the right direction. Bw started his/hers because of being banned from MH. 

The only thing stopping you is your decision to spend your time bitching about what has been built and maintained by others. Prove me wrong or shut the fuck up.

I spent this weekend at home for a change. Played 6+ hours on atl open and the same on a capped server the next day. Server was full basically the entire time. I saw you for maybe an hour, talking about how great you are and how your game is not up to par because you have to maintain elo. The only thing you did was click on a server, nothing more. I have roughly 15000 games on MadHouse servers since steam.

You are a player, I dont give respect to everyone. You fall into the same catagory as dollasss. If you dont have my respect as a person/player, you are a green blip on my monitor. I remove toxic people when I choose too. 

I can post your ignorant rants from steam chat if you want to see where my opinion of you was formed. They all showed up when you friend requested me recently and I thought this time might be different. Keep calling me an asshole for giving multiple chances and hoping it was going to be better. 

I thought a legitimate discussion would be cool as I have been talking to others about adjusting the cap since we already have open servers. 

Come back at me with something thoughtful and intelligent this time please...

My mom died on the 7th of last month, part of the reason I have been playing more to try and forget how much I miss her..

I'm more of the opinion that 1900 sounds better. I've seen quite a few people in the 1700-1900 range just quit playing because of the cap and could not find games and  may not ever come back. Even though i am physically unable to play at a high level any longer i do miss a lot of my old school friends who left. My stance on this is well known. You will only get better by playing better players.

I have played better players for 20 years and I still suck ass... you lie

i don't care.... if that really matters.  I will just keeping doing organic things no matter who or what elo the server is. lol

Going with the idea of getting more people on the servers, I would agree to increase the cap, we would get more of a mix of people on the servers and in theory more players should over flow on to the other servers. BUT that's in theory, I've noticed that many people will sit in the 'server is full' state and wait for people to leave rather than start another game on another server.

To bring the higher elo players in doesn't really cause an issue with me personally (i voted to try it), a lot of them that I've played with are really nice and good to play and interact with. BUT the admin part of me, dealing with the elo/ego maniacs who think its life or death in a quake game - they can be a pain as they will bash on the lower elo players with verbal and team attacks to vent their frustrations. So as long as there's an active admin on the server it's fine. but when no admins are around then unguarded abuse will happen.

As far as KGB goes, he's friendly to me and Pete because we've taken action on him when he really gets out of line and at the end of the day he just wants to play. but he definitely can be an ass and a lot of people dont like his name calling and stuff, but to me it's more of a joking thing as I've never really seen him pissed off at anyone unless were all losing in the game very bad, then I see his frustration in his words. other than that he's not that bad, just have to stand up to him. - sometimes i like the challenge of a player like him as it gets the blood pumping.

Some players just want to have the social and fun aspect of the game, some people want to be more competitive (or/and both) but it is a good time for everyone when they get what they're looking for out of this game. Its funny how this game can be fulfilling in different ways.

All in all, it's a good idea to get more people in the servers and perhaps this community, but as I was just telling Pete last night, the people go where the game are, so if we dont start other games in other servers when other servers are full then it's difficult. - I'd say the tipping point of a server from being empty to packed is 4 or more people in a server, then they come in waves. - just what I've noticed, and fewer restrictions will allow more players in.

my vote would be to have one 1700 server in place to leave a safe place for now (say, NY as its most friendly for east and west pings) and the rest no limit and see how it goes, we played a game on the no limit NY server last night and it was good. had a couple high elo players (+1900) in there at the start and they were fine, but they left as soon as the regular player wave came in the server. was a good night.

2cents given.

Here is what I have noticed as a pattern. 

Open server has some good players on it teams are lower numbers, playing same 4 maps. The lowers join and before long map rage because it's a MadHouse playing hiddenfortress, almost lost etc... with teams of ten. Some pro players drop with teamsize, map or being forced to watch a camping teammate. The server is almost full of players under the cap. Mean while 2-3 players show up and leave because of the 1-2 open players on the server. Example Meta, how many did not click it at all? 

I am not saying all the higher players drop or that they are all assholes. As you said, I do not have issue with kgb. I enjoy the battle and go after him as much as possible before he gets me.

I don't pretend to have an answer that solves all the problems. Just trying to discuss, thank you matty. I am still of the belief that open servers already exist. Dont force the people that paid for the servers to play in one location.

What if they are donating because we have a chi location? Even though, the game might not get started there either. 

When we tried this before there was a problem with admins reacting. Hardly any of the admins were playing there let alone doing shit. 1k elo admin 2k elo hmmm There are some I woukd consider adding to make it possible. Josh, Phil..but would that help?

I think raising the bar to 1900-2k with the buffer would be a step in the right direction. It would allow most of the players that are cool enough to already be hanging out. The ones that are willing to manage it already just to have fun with us. I can think of 3 people that might have issue with that number already hanging out.

Raising also give those other people the ability to prove their interest is casual play.(example below) If we find some of those people to be cool we always have the ability for an exception. Last time I checked the game is still full of sounds, chatter, old people and raging homos. 10 player Ca will not be making a qcon debut anytime soon. 

Last night I hop on the populated server which happened to be capped. Teams are like 5-5 someone joins so i drop since I am trying to keep players and continue to populate. I go get my drink refill and comeback to another player about to get kicked because teams are at 5-6. I jump in to save him and in a matter of secs am accused of joining the winning team. Highway of all people, mr refill, i gotta piss mid game himself tells me about myself.  

That is how my evening started...first ten minutes.

It is all about perspective, knowledge is power!

Pete, hypothetically if the cap was 1900 do you think we would need the no-limit servers anymore?  I personally don’t think we would need them at that point and you are right that we could give exceptions if needed for cool people that exceed the 1900.

I’m leaning towards the 1900 myself. 

Any objections? We can always revert back if it doesn’t work out but I don’t like keeping cool players from playing here just because they are good at the game. And like Pete said 99% of the donors are under 1600 elo and won’t have fun getting destroyed by 2000+ players so we have to keep that in mind also in this decision.

9 minutes ago, coffee said:

Look at qc numbers falling, they will be back. When they come back they will all be running new potatoes with dual 1080's. The most significant number being the average is dropping hard, 25 percent last month.

https://steamcharts.com/app/611500

wow i wonder what happened here                              active players

August 2018 2,770.8 +363.5 +15.10% 7,197
July 2018 2,407.3 -2,923.2 -54.84% 6,518
June 2018 5,330.6 +4,605.4 +635.10% 17,332

lol

I do not see any reason to kill the open servers either. Let them get a room and fuck, some of these guys are pretty cool and qualify as over the cap.