maverik

Lan party

Long story short, I teach computers and networks to 18+ year olds and they learned that I play QL. So now, they want to organize a quake lan game at the end of the semester.

Aside from everyone buying the game and playing online, are there any other options? They are on a student budget so I'm trying to find a way this could be done for free. I've never setup a server before but I believe I could hack it.

I dont know how many you are trying to accomadate. One steam account has the possibilty of 5 with family accounts. According to the short bit i read, all 5 could play the same game offline for most games  It may take some effort to set it up. Just google steam family account. 

Are you going to run a dedicated server or a listen server? Dedicated you would need a Linux box and setting up a ql server without minqlx is very easy.

You can run it as a listen server from within the game like you would at home and have people connect that way. It is not as efficient as as a dedi server but would probably serve your purpose.

You might contact steam and tell them whats going on and its for educational purpose. Who knows maybe they could give you 1 day passes for the class. Worth a shot I guess.

3 hours ago, coffee said:

I dont know how many you are trying to accomadate. One steam account has the possibilty of 5 with family accounts. According to the short bit i read, all 5 could play the same game offline for most games  It may take some effort to set it up. Just google steam family account. 

Approximately 15 people. But it seem games played in family mode can only be accessed by one person at any given time - found this in Q&A section of steam family account:

Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?

No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time

and this:

When I authorize a device to lend my library to others, do I limit my own ability to access and play my games?

As the account holder, you may always access and play your games at any time. If you decide to start playing when another user is already playing one of your games, he/she will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

2 hours ago, 3Fingers said:

Are you going to run a dedicated server or a listen server? Dedicated you would need a Linux box and setting up a ql server without minqlx is very easy.

You can run it as a listen server from within the game like you would at home and have people connect that way. It is not as efficient as as a dedi server but would probably serve your purpose.

You might contact steam and tell them whats going on and its for educational purpose. Who knows maybe they could give you 1 day passes for the class. Worth a shot I guess.

Well I don't know, like I said I've never tried either. It seems dedicated might be better if we are around 15 players. The hardware would not be a problem and I know my way around a linux box. Never played with minqlx. Just checked it out. It installs on debian based distro.

Once the dedicated server is setup, how does it work? Does it still need to go through steam? what do the players need to have on their side to play?

12 hours ago, maverik said:

uh?

i posted something then realized i was inaccurate and i dont have the power to delete a post

• Haha 1

On 17-11-2018 at 10:00 AM, dtblud said:

doesnt ql go on sale for 2.99 couple times a year still?  maybe wait till its on sale again?

Not that I know.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=quake+live

This site keeps track of what is going on a well as what happened in the past. According to it, QL has never received a discount.

I wonder how QL reacts when you boot up in offline mode and just /connect to a local server while using family share.

11 hours ago, Raeven said:

Not that I know.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=quake+live

This site keeps track of what is going on a well as what happened in the past. According to it, QL has never received a discount.

I wonder how QL reacts when you boot up in offline mode and just /connect to a local server while using family share.

this is not accurate, because I have purchased QuakeLive 2-3 times in the past for other people, when it was on sale for $2.99.

Well, the students got their hands on a copy of quake 4 (bleh) and now they want to setup a dedicated server or 2 in our network lab and have at it. I told them it was their funeral...

or quake 3 arena is way better than quake 4?...and almost the same as QL.

load em up some Rocket Arena 3 it will be a blast. 

4 hours ago, dtblud said:

or quake 3 arena is way better than quake 4?...and almost the same as QL.

load em up some Rocket Arena 3 it will be a blast. 

That’s what I was thinking.

You can buy q3 at gog for 14.99 and it comes drm free. No activation required. So you would be able to install it on all the pc’s you want.

https://www.gog.com/game/quake_iii_gold

you may be able to find it cheaper but this is drm free which is nice.

Someone had a copy of quake 3, but the maps were dark as hell. Players were hard to spot and nothing in the in game settings seem to work to make visibility better (I was getting destroyed by the bots at "bring it on" level :-) ). I imagine there's some way to make the maps more playable within the config files, but I don't know.

Quake 4 has more elaborate graphic settings and the maps are much brighter, out of the box. The old quakes seem so slow compared to ql.

Lan game is in 3 weeks so we will use the time to experiment and time permitting, squeeze in a wee bit of actual school work :)

2 hours ago, 3Fingers said:

You can buy q3 at gog for 14.99 and it comes drm free.

Thx, didn't know about them. Cool store!

i got a quake2 disc, just play some quake2 and let them feel how we grew up playing video games. also have each pc that is being used to play the game uploading files to simulate high ping from dialup.. let them experience some fun times

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, island55 said:

i got a quake2 disc, just play some quake2 and let them feel how we grew up playing video games. also have each pc that is being used to play the game uploading files to simulate high ping from dialup.. let them experience some fun times

Q2 would be fun for sure and it has the single player campaign. Plus you can run a coop server and all join and fight the Strogg together as a team. That’s some fun stuff right there. Back in the day people used to network servers together and you would go from server to server fighting Strogg. If you went through certain portals it would connect you to the next server. Hundreds of players would be going from server to server fighting Strogg and Bosses. Good times

11 hours ago, maverik said:

Someone had a copy of quake 3, but the maps were dark as hell. Players were hard to spot and nothing in the in game settings seem to work to make visibility better (I was getting destroyed by the bots at "bring it on" level :-) ). I imagine there's some way to make the maps more playable within the config files, but I don't know.

Quake 4 has more elaborate graphic settings and the maps are much brighter, out of the box. The old quakes seem so slow compared to ql.

Lan game is in 3 weeks so we will use the time to experiment and time permitting, squeeze in a wee bit of actual school work :)

There is a fix for this gamma problem, I will post a link once I find it, its been a long time, i forget atm. 

Hey Mav, Idk if this will work, checked a bunch of old stuff and this seems to be the most common advice:

seta r_overBrightBits "1"
seta r_ignorehwgamma "1"

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24083-13-quake-brightness

Some also said running it in winxp or win98 compatibility mode fixed it for them. 

google quake 3 gamma, or quake 3 too dark, or something similar, you will find other suggestions.

I tried dtblud's work around for darkness, and maybe it's my setup or my version of q3 but, though it may have been a little better, it's still difficult to spot the enemy.

So it looks like they'll be cutting their teeth on quake 4. They've already tested a scaled down 4 vs 4 battle on the lab computers and they had a blast. Too bad there's no clan arena, I find tdm less fun.

So thx for the suggestions, looking forward to the main event in less than 2 weeks.