maverik

Thinking of getting gaming monitor - advice needed

i recently got a new monitor myself, the acer xfo serious 27" for $250.. 144hz 1ms etc etc etc and i can tell a huge difference. 

34 minutes ago, island55 said:

i recently got a new monitor myself, the acer xfo serious 27" for $250.. 144hz 1ms etc etc etc and i can tell a huge difference. 

I could tell something was off about your gameplay. All of a sudden you're making these difficult shots... :)

I take it you're not using freesync and you set your max_fps in ql?

Well I can't wait to get mine to see how it feels to actually see fast moving objects  instead of sensing them.

yeah was having major issues with the previous 60hz samsung.. not sure but when i started playing ql again after it became available on steam it was fine but it recently started getting major frame drops and input(?) lag is the best way to describe it.. almost unplayable. however now its fun to play again, the monitor i got was freesync but i have an nvidia video card and according to things i read on the net the freesync will work with nvidia just fine. i think if i read it correctly freesync is more of a software communication between your video card and monitor(amd) whereas gsync is hardware built into the monitor specifically for nvidia, which is why the gsync monitors are more expensive. i also read that once you experience gsync you wont want anything else and its worth the money

i bought the monitor i got at bestbuy only because none of the monitors they had were gsync.. i guess i bought on impulse cause i was already there and drooling for a new monitor.

Well, if it makes you feel better I believe that neither freesync or gsync would make any difference for you if you have a graphics card capable of handling 144 fps on QL. It's only when your fps dips below your monitors max refresh that they come in handy. So you probably just saved yourself a wad of money unless you play other games where your fps spikes more. Then gsync or freesync come in handy. BTW you're not using the freesync feature of your monitor if your card's not AMD but you can still use the higher refresh rate.

Anyways, that's how I understand it. Could be wrong, I have no first hand experience with this. I'm still playing on my slow as molasses 10 year old Samsung 27 inch VA panel (great colors though). So when things get hectic during games, all objects more or less turn to mush.

https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538793625&sr=8-4&keywords=asus+27+wqhd+ips

this what i run with gsync....... the color, response, and 1440k is a very nice clarity. 27 inch is the threshold of using 1440 or 1080..... once you see 1440k 1080p suks

Edited by RubMyChub

6 minutes ago, RubMyChub said:

https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538793625&sr=8-4&keywords=asus+27+wqhd+ips

this what i run with gsync....... the color, response, and 1440k is a very nice clarity. 27 inch is the threshold of using 1440 or 1080..... once you see 1440k 1080p suks

and i say that because i have both an 8q and a 9q

im probably going to be taking this monitor back.. im still getting some kind of input lag or something, for example when i peak a corner i dont instantly see players it takes like 0.5 seconds for them to "load" into my vision and once i finally see them ive been railed twice cause they see me first.. ive never experienced this before like this. frustrating

That sounds really bad. I don't care how much a monitor costs this doesn't sound normal. Even my slow as molasses 10 year old 60hz VA panel doesn't do that.

Here are a couple of things you could check first: Did you setup you frequency over 60hz in Windows? Did you setup your max_fps in QL under (but close) to the max refresh frequency?

Also, if your connected on the HDMI port you could try DVI or display port: some monitors higher refresh rate only work on DVI or DP.

13 hours ago, maverik said:

That sounds really bad. I don't care how much a monitor costs this doesn't sound normal. Even my slow as molasses 10 year old 60hz VA panel doesn't do that.

Here are a couple of things you could check first: Did you setup you frequency over 60hz in Windows? Did you setup your max_fps in QL under (but close) to the max refresh frequency?

Also, if your connected on the HDMI port you could try DVI or display port: some monitors higher refresh rate only work on DVI or DP.

i set the 144hz settings in quake and my maxfps is 250.. not sure how to do this in windows? but now that you mention it i wonder if win10 is causing my problems? cause i was experiencing this same kind of thing with my old monitor too. and im using the dp port

yeah i had vsync on and the windows settings was already set at 144..

still getting some kind of weird delayed displaying of players

wonder if its a win10 issue or something different, i have an nvidia 1050ti sc

2 hours ago, island55 said:

yeah i had vsync on and the windows settings was already set at 144..

vsync should be off

So I cracked. I couldn't wait for Black Friday. Had to buy it, it was on special...

I seriously considered this: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025424&_ga=2.249119556.2145501989.1539690115-394805415.1502895811&_gac=1.45810006.1537388112.CjwKCAjw54fdBRBbEiwAW28S9scFOZrrU238rP_SgrXliLU9JbtU0kGrhUyf3kM2nY360VCH4r4kEhoCA4gQAvD_BwE

but I finally went with this: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014578&_ga=2.212575191.2145501989.1539690115-394805415.1502895811&_gac=1.159067976.1537388112.CjwKCAjw54fdBRBbEiwAW28S9scFOZrrU238rP_SgrXliLU9JbtU0kGrhUyf3kM2nY360VCH4r4kEhoCA4gQAvD_BwE

It's a TN panel so colors and viewing angles won't be as great as say IPS or VA but it's 1ms, 144hz freesync, 2k, supports multiple connection types, has an adjustable stand and should be great for QL. I'm sorry in advance for all the players who's elo depended on slaughtering me :-)

Thx DT. I'm glad your satisfied with yours even though you have projects of replacing it with something grand.

On a side note choosing a monitor is fu...ing hell. I must of changed my mind 20 times. It's not like choosing a cpu.

It's all about compromise and intended use. IPS screens are slower and have to a variable degree IPS glow (it's like aids for monitors) but have more vivid colors and better viewing angles. That being said there are some very nice wide gaming monitors that use IPS.

Va panels are like IPS panels with better contrast but instead of IPS glow you get slower response times and more motion blur. But now you have gaming monitors that mitigate all these problems and make IPS or VA fine for gaming.

TN are still the fastest screens out there but their colors are usually less pleasing and the viewing angles are more restricted.

Add resolution, quality control, curved vs non curved  and price to the mix and it's pretty damn confusing.

In the end I went with a 27 inch 2k TN panel because I intend to use it mainly for QL where speed is king (it's only 1 of 3 screens on my desktop). I'm not religious about the curved screen thing. Had I bought larger than 27 inch, I think curved would've been better. I know they sell curved 27 inch screens, but I believe that at that size, it's useless at best. As for 2k, it wasn't a must have but I figured why not. You can always scale down to 1080p if the card can't take it. Viewing angles: I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty much always facing my screen when using it - I guess spectators would be more affected...

Purolator is on the way :-)

Good price on the one i own. Highly recommended!

ffs this was $400+ almost 2 years ago. My first one did have problems. but the replacement is doing fine * don't listen to the noobs in the reviews.. Most of them are idiots!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281414-REG/samsung_c24fg70_curved_va_144hz_24.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eblgs-O3gIVGNRkCh3KNQowEAkYASABEgKKf_D_BwE&smp=y#ov

Playing at 120 hz is sooooo much better.

Unfortunately, I'm replacing the monitor. It has a bright spot dead center. annoying af especially on a lighter background.

Also found out that my 560GTX doesn't support 144hz @ 2k resolution. Had to play at 120hz@1080p. Still, night and day compared to 60hz.

7 hours ago, D347h said:

Good price on the one i own. Highly recommended!

ffs this was $400+ almost 2 years ago. My first one did have problems. but the replacement is doing fine * don't listen to the noobs in the reviews.. Most of them are idiots!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281414-REG/samsung_c24fg70_curved_va_144hz_24.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eblgs-O3gIVGNRkCh3KNQowEAkYASABEgKKf_D_BwE&smp=y#ov

Yeah I heard good things about them Samsung.

Does anyone know what graphics card I would need for hitting 144 fps in QL at 2k resolution?

I'm thinking something like the 1050TI might do the trick, but I have no clue really. I don't use much of the in game eye candy.

damn sorry to hear you got a defective one. :( 

idk what gpu will do that for you at 2k, but I think you should make sure it has at least 4gb ram

Thx blud. When I dropped it off at the UPS store for the return, my head knew it was the right thing to do, but my fingers disagreed.